Animation: There is one worry that can be thrown out. When I first saw the designs of the human mane six I panicked. One of the best parts of MLP has always been the great animation, and the original posters for this new show didn't help to soothe my fears of a quick cash-in. Thankfully from this trailer we can at least see that the animation quality is on-par, if not better, than FiM which gives me some sense of positivity. Good thing too, cause the rest of the trailer does the polar opposite...
The Humor...: Okay now some of my younger fans may be blissfully unaware of this so allow me to ruin the late 80's/early 90's for you. See there was this trend, we called it "Earth fantasy" basically all you had to do was bring a character from a fantasy kingdom to modern earth, it was a popular genre for cheap films. You didn't have to make many costumes, the script basically wrote itself as you just had points where the main character points out stupid stuff about modern earth customs, it was quite popular with films like Beastmaster 2: Through the portal of time, Hercules in New York, and Lords of Magick. They also shared one other piece of common ground... THEY ALL FUCKING SUCKED!!! They were some of the worst fantasy movies of the two decades, they were played out, unfunny, insulting garbage. And guess what type of humor is most prominent in the trailer... go on guess.
The Guy: Oh God how I wished that this wouldn't happen. How many of you want to guess that this is some kind of love interest, go on guess. Because all the teenage crowd relates too is sex and Disney romances, got to have one or the other if you're appealing to teens. Hey wait, doesn't he look like...
AHHHHHHHHHH, CAN'T GET IMAGE OUT OF HEAD, AHHHHHHHHHHHH,
Possible Chrysalis return?: I say this mostly because of the big green column of fire in the trailer, but honestly I would pay good money to see Chrysalis as a member of the Mean Girls... What does that say about me?
Who loves retreads?: One of the biggest problems that I have with this trailer is the way that it establishes no differences between itself and the main continuity aside from being set in High School, which sucks, and having them as humans. Pinkie Pie is still Pinkie Pie, which I guess was inevitable although I would've liked to see the character in a different direction. Spike is a dog, which sucks. Seriously does Hasbro hate Spike now? Like with Just for Sidekicks they turned him into a lying asshole, then 'The Episode which must not be named' happened doing further damage. Like does one of the higher-ups have something against Cathy Waseluck, because how could you, she has such a cute voice. Oh yes, and implied conflict about Twilight not having magic and having to solve a problem without it... gee haven't heard that one before now have we? (Winter-Wrap-up)
Conclusion: I was originally going to give this the benefit of the doubt. I thought that it couldn't suck, at least not completely. If there is one thing that Hasbro knows how to do its marketing, it was the only thing that they were good at in the 80's, and they haven't gotten any worse. So the only conclusion that I can draw is that the finished product resembles the trailer, which isn't very good. I want to be excited for this, and I want to be proven wrong. So come on Hasbro, work the magic that the first episode worked, make me eat my words goddammit.
No comments:
Post a Comment